English online school

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Conversation and Grammar Focus

I Like guys who….

Chris: Do you have a date for the party yet?
Kim: Actually, I don't … Do you know anyone I could go with?
Chris: Hmm. What kind of guys do you like?
Kim: Oh, I like guys who aren't too serious and who have a good sense of humor. You know someone like you.
Chris: OK. Uh, what else?
Kim: Well, I'd prefer someone I have something in common with-who I can talk to easily.
Chris: I think I know just the guy for you. Bob Branson. Do you know him?
Kim: No, I don't think so.
Chris: OK, I'll ask him to meet us for coffee and you can tell me what you think.


Grammar Focus

Relative pronouns

Relative pronouns as subjects

I like guys. They aren't too serious.
I like guys who/that aren't too serious.

I like guys. They have a good sense of humor.
I like guys who/that have a good sense of humor.

Relative pronouns as objects

I'd prefer someone. I can talk to him easily.
I'd prefer someone (who/that) I can talk to easily.

I'd prefer someone. I have fun with him.
I'd prefer someone (who/that) I have fun with.

I was really immature.

Alan: So what were you like when you were younger?
Carol: When I was a kid, I was kind of irresponsible.
Alan: You? Really? What made you change?
Carol: Graduating from high school.
Alan: What do you mean?
Carol: Well, until I graduated, I'd never had any important responsibilities. But then, I went off to college…
Alan: I know what you mean. I was really immature when I was a teenager.
Carol: So what made you change?
Alan: I think I become more mature after I got my first job and move away from home. Once I had a job, I become totally independent.
Carol: Where did you work?
Alan: I worked for my dad at the bank.

Grammar Focus

Time clauses

Before I had my first job, I was really immature.
After I got my first job, I became more mature.
Once I had a job, I became totally independent.
The moment I moved away from home, I felt like a different person.
As soon as I got my own bank account, I started to be more responsible.
Until I graduated, I'd never had any important responsibilities.
By the time I graduated from high school, I had already started working.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home