English online school

Friday, April 07, 2006

Idioms and conversations

Use idioms in a letter. (Sadness)

Dear Louise,

Hope all goes well with you. Unfortunately, everyone here is out of sorts. Will is down in the dumps because he doesn't like his teacher this year. I've told him that it's not the end of the world and that he'd better just grin and bear it, but I think he likes being a misery guts and so he complains about her every night. Pat is also suffering from sour grapes because I got the role in the school play that she wanted. This puts a damper on every meal, so I'm really looking forward to staying with you at the weekend.
Love,
Karen.

Out of sorts: Slightly unhappy or slightly ill.
Down in the dumps: Unhappy (informal).
Not the end of the world: What has happened won't cause any serious problems.
Just grin and bear it: Accept a situation you don't like because you can't change it.
A misery guts: Someone who complains all the time and is never happy (very informal).
Sour grapes: Being jealous about something you can't have.
Puts a damper on: Stop an occasion from being enjoyable (something dampener is used instead of damper).

Daily Conversations (Introduction and opening conversations).

People in the United States don't always shake hands when they are introduced to one another. However, in a formal or business situation, people almost always shake hands.

Conversation 1

A: Mary, this is Joe's brother David.
B: I'm very glad to meet you.
C: It's a pleasure to meet you.
B: How do you like Texas so far?
C: It's really different from what I expected.
B: Don't worry. You'll get used to it in no time.

Conversation 2

A: Mrs. Smith, I'd like to introduce a friend of mine, Pierre Dubois.
B: How do you do?
C: Hello.
B: What's you impression of the United States?
C: Well, I can't get over how different the weather is here.
B: Oh, you'll get used to it soon!


Conversation 3

A: Wendy, I'd like you to meet my brother Sam.
B: Hi.
C: Nice to meet you.
B: What do you think of Dallas?
C: Well, I'm still feeling a little homesick and so many things seem strange to me.
B: You're bound to feel that way at first, I guess.

Conversation 4

A: Mrs. Hughs, this is Peter Brown.
B: Pleased to meet you.
C: How do you do?
B: I hope you're enjoying your stay here.
C: If it weren't for the climate, I'd like it here very much.
B: It always takes time to get used to a new place.

To get used to = to adjust
In no time = soon
I can't get over = I'm still surprised at
Bound to = sure to

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home